thetwocentcrockpot

( the-too-sent-krok-pot ) n. proper name a blog containing the thoughts, opnions, and convictions of ryan burns that, theoretically, get better as time goes by: as used in "thetwocentcrockpot kicks booty."

Friday, March 10, 2006

twocent education...

Ok, I had a request that I actually follow through with my post about the education system that was brought on by 2 NPR stories I heard... While I heard the stories a while ago, I remember that one in particular delt specifically with the evolution vs intelligent design debate. After listening to the story I was annoyed in general because the issue, I think, is more about how we teach children. See, you can teach evolution all you want or you can teach ID all you want, but what I really want is to see a student who actually knows how to think about what is being presented and be able to wrestle with it and come to a conclusion on their own... I mean, lets be real, evolution is a theory. If that is true, then you must not only teach the student about the theory, but also how to analyze it and come to personal conclusions based on evidence given.

I think the problem is that we don't teach children to think... we teach them to regurgitate. This pissed me off (best way to describe it) when I was in college... There was nothing I hated more that a COLLEGE student asking, "will this be on the test?" Who cares! You are at the university to THINK for goodness sake... god forbid you actually wrestle with an idea or concept just for the sake of learning something... Instead, we have classrooms full of people who are only seeing a piece of paper and are willing to accept anything a professor says, so long as it will be on the test. OH how I long for the day when students will fill their test with the "wrong" answers because they really believe they are right... not only that, but they can articulate why it is right and are willing to humbly fight for their conviction.

I could rant more, but here is the deal... if you are a college student stop being lazy and start to think, ask, learn, wrestle...

Less than 1% of the world population has a college degree... that puts you in a very elite group... DO NOT WASTE IT!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely.
-monica

6:32 PM  
Blogger paul <> said...

okay, the 1% statistic . . .

will it be on the test?

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home