thetwocentcrockpot

( the-too-sent-krok-pot ) n. proper name a blog containing the thoughts, opnions, and convictions of ryan burns that, theoretically, get better as time goes by: as used in "thetwocentcrockpot kicks booty."

Friday, September 08, 2006

the solid rock...

The past 10 days of my life have been pretty crazy. Between Asher's broken arm, Grace's birth, our flooded basement, my car acting up, almost being crushed by a 200 lb generator, having to buy a 200 lb generator and setting it up in the middle of tropical depression, shattering a glass door with my elbow, ripping out our carpet, watching my wife and son go stir-crazy spending several days trapped in our living room, spilling gas in my basement and fumigating the entire house for 12 hours, stepping on a carpet tac strip with my bare foot, and countless other little things, I have been trying to consciously focus on Jesus and the power of the Gospel to overcome my situations.

As I was sitting at my computer the other day the hymn, "the solid rock" popped into my head. I can't say I knew all the words at the time, but after reading them I was filled with faith and hope. It has been a great source of comfort for my soul to meditate on these words:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

Edward Mote (1797-1874)

Thank God for men like Edward Mote and the bible based, grace filled, faith building hymns they penned. My our generation produce men and women who will again write songs like these.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home