thetwocentcrockpot

( the-too-sent-krok-pot ) n. proper name a blog containing the thoughts, opnions, and convictions of ryan burns that, theoretically, get better as time goes by: as used in "thetwocentcrockpot kicks booty."

Monday, March 07, 2005

Folly

So, last night I preached at Paideia for the first time. My text was Ephesians 4.25-32. In general, I feel good about the evening. However, I must admit that preachers are quite susceptible to insecurity following any given sermon. The fact is that we have been entrusted with a great task in preaching... we are to stand before a group of people and expound on what God has revealed about himself in scripture and how that relates to us. It is a monumental task that should be taken with great trepidation for the mere fact that there are a lot of people who will simply believe what you say. The fear in my heart is that I stand and declare something that is not true to the nature and character of God... even in subtle things... As I reflect on last evening I run through the sermon in my head (I'm scared to listen to the cd) and I ask myself, "Was I true to the Word? Could I have said something better? Did I labor too long on a point? Did anyone get it?" Just as I am on the brink of thinking that I should, for the safety of all mankind, never preach again, the gentle word of God rings true in my heart, like a tuning fork adjusting my internal pitch of fear to that of faith... "in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe." Ahhhh what comfort the word of God brings. In the wisdom of God he has chosen to use frail and fallible men (like me) to preach the message of the cross and see lives transformed. While I might not have spoken with eloquent words, or I might have made mistakes, the reality is that I attempted, with every fiber of strength of mind and heart, to preach accurately God's word. I trust that He is more than able to take my folly and save those who believe.

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
~ romans 11.34-36 ~

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home