thetwocentcrockpot

( the-too-sent-krok-pot ) n. proper name a blog containing the thoughts, opnions, and convictions of ryan burns that, theoretically, get better as time goes by: as used in "thetwocentcrockpot kicks booty."

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Pete & Repete

It seems like every time I want to post something to my blog, I am in starbucks... this has led me to believe that I need an Apple G4 Powerbook. I know this might seem like a quantum leap in logic, but, hey, whatever it takes to justify me getting a Powerbook seems logical enough... Like, "it is cold outside, I need a Powerbook" or "I sure do breath a lot, I need a powerbook."

Anyway, in order to post something of some value to someone somewhere, I shall reign in my vain Powerbook prabblings and try oand focus on useful thoughts... mmmmmm... ok.

So, I've been reading 2 Peter for the past couple days and I must say that it has been quite rewarding. I would say, up to this point I considered myself a 1 Peter kind-of-guy, but this 2 Peter stuff is fla-vo-riffic. I will keep today's observations to one speciffic point that I really enjoyed, and that is chapter 1 verses 12-14

Therefore I intended always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things. (italics mine)

The thing that I like about this is that Peter is saying, "hey, I know I always say the same thing... I know that you know it.... I know that you understand... but I am going to repete it again. " I think that, often, Christians think that once they hear or learn something that is all there is to it. However, I have found that, for me, I am most encouraged and challanged when I sit in on a class that teaches the foundations of the faith... Is it because I do not know the foundations or that I do not have them established in my life? No. It is that I need to coninually remind myself what it is that I believe so that I might be able to take them to others.

May I (and others) never get to a place where we believe that we are in a place of maturity that, when we hear something we have heard before, we tune it out because, "oh, I already know about that." Truly this scripture nails home the importance of repetetion and the need we have for it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home